> the first thing that comes to mind is that OSPF is the only other routing
> protocol where RID is an inherant part of the structure and the process.
>
> as to why this becomes an issue, since RIDs can change based upon
> reconfigurations and reloads and process clearing, I can see the code
> getting confused. add a loopback. clear the ospf process, the RID changes,
> but does not change for BGP because the process is stable. or visa versa.
> this is starting to tell me that maybe there is a RID routine in the IOS
> code that both BGP and OSPF reference when starting up.
>
> write it off as "cronkite" because "that's the way it is"? not a bug, but
> feature?

the 'feature' is a pretty tricky deal.  what the sync 'feature' required is
the RID for the OSPF route match the RID of the BGP route.  John came up
with the solution, and it worked.  The redistribution point also plays a key
role - when redistributing OSPF into BGP, it worked best when done at a BGP
router that was sync'ed.  The additional complication was a route reflector
preventing the real full iBGP mesh.  It is a show-stopper if you don't get
that match and try to get unsynced iBGP routes advertised to an eBGP
neighbor.

My conclusion:  The additional sync requirement of matching OSPF RIDs
(instead of just the routing table)  is a real pain in the butt.