Fred,

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for, although it appears that
the first part of your response was chopped off for some reason.

John

>>> "Fred Ingham"  12/28/01 12:19:59 PM >>>
reflectors.

The requirement for the BGP/OSPF identifier is stated in RFC 1364:

"Varadhan                                                        [Page
4]

RFC 1364                  BGP OSPF Interaction            September
1992

3.  BGP Identifier and OSPF router ID

   The BGP identifier must be the same as the OSPF router id at all
   times that the router is up.

   This characteristic is required for two reasons.

      i.   Consider the scenario in which 3 routers, RT1, RT2, and
RT3,
           belong to the same autonomous system.

                            +-----+
                            | RT3 |
                            +-----+

                Autonomous System running OSPF

                        /             \
                    +-----+          +-----+
                    | RT1 |          | RT2 |
                    +-----+          +-----+

   Both RT1 and RT2 have routes to an external network X and import it
   into the OSPF routing domain.  RT3 is advertising the route to
   network X to other external BGP speakers.  RT3 must use the OSPF
   router ID to determine whether it is using RT1 or RT2 to forward
   packets to network X and hence build the correct AS_PATH to
advertise
   to other external speakers.

   More precisely, RT3 must use the AS_PATH of the route announced by
   the ASBR, whose BGP Identifier is the same as the OSPF routerID
   corresponding to its route for network X.

      ii.  It will be convenient for the network administrator looking
at
           an ASBR to correlate different BGP and OSPF routes based on
           the identifier."

Cisco issued a field notice on the problem where there was a route
reflector.  (Can't locate it in my pile(s))

In One Tech Note (BGP Best Path Selection Algorithm):

"Paths marked as "not synchronized" in the show ip bgp
output. If BGP synchronization is enabled, which it is by default in
Cisco IOS. Software, there must be a match for the prefix in the IP
routing table in order for an internal (iBGP) path to be considered a
valid path. If the matching route is learned from an OSPF neighbor,
its
OSPF router ID must match the BGP router ID of the iBGP neighbor. Most
users prefer to disable synchronization using the no synchronization
BGP
subcommand."

The comparison can be done using the sh ip bgp xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa and
show
ip ospf data.

HTH, Fred.