Well by taking a meaningful sample of a certification's population you
should cover the variation in experience.  Personally I would expect
lower level certifications to have a wider distribution wrt experience
and that should translate into the same in salary.

With small populations(numbers of CCIEs) it becomes very difficult to
produce a meaningful average by sampling the population.  This is
especially true when the years of experience has lead to different areas
of focus.  Those areas of focus make large differences in salary and

This doesn't even cover difference between:
-Perm. W2'ed employees of a Consulting Firm vs. Corporate
-Cost of Living in various parts of the Country/World
-COL in mico regions

Bottom line is traking averages for these smaller populations will be
greatly affected by the types of folks responding and not reflect the
highly variable market in a meaningful way.  Put 10% of the time you all
seem to into studying for certs and put it into looking at the
employement marketplace...the return will be just as big as the cert.

my $0.0002 micropayment,
Darrell