John et al:  The first part of my message said that this is a particular
problem with route reflectors.  Don't know what I'm doing but the first
line of my messages gets chopped frequently.

Just didn't want people to think the BGP/OSPF requirement was arbitrary,
though it seems to be based on an obsolete RFC.  As you found, it is
real in cisco BGP/OSPF configurations.  Thanks to Howard and Pete for
updating me on the RFC's.

Cheers, Fred.