Not providing many/any answers here I'm afraid - just asking more questions.
Is SSL that suitable for caching? I would have thought that most SSL traffic
would be unique (Session ID's/transaction info etc).
That's not a cocky question, I really don't know. I suppose there will be
static content within the SSL pages.

I've used Intel SSL accelerators which seem to perform pretty well. We also
do a fair bit of load balancing with Foundry Networks kit (Server Irons/Big
Irons) and they're pretty nippy and pretty cheap compared to Cisco, and have
the advantage that their CLI is very close to Cisco.
I suppose it depends what scale you're doing it on.

>From what I've seen of the Cisco CSS (Arrowpoint kit) they seem to offer
greater functionality/flexibility than Foundry, but not seen much of them
working in anger yet.

Be interesting to hear what Stratacache really mean by caching content in
SSL-ready format.

Gaz