True enough, the management VLAN doesn't have to be 1.  Using 1 is
reccomended however, because it is the default.

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Crawford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 12:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ISL Trunking [7:30728]

I must disagree with VLAN 1 being the only administrative VLAN.  It is
simply the default VLAN.  At a previous client I set up a DMZ switch with a
management VLAN of 999.  This was on a Cat5505.

HTH

Darren

At 11:28 PM 1/2/2002 -0500, Mark Odette II wrote:
>Ali-
>If my memory serves correct, you must first specify another VLAN as your
>administrative VLAN before you can drop VLAN 1 from the trunk...otherwise,
>your trunk would be orphaned (become unmanageable) and you wouldn't be able
>to control it anymore- until you cleared the config that is.
>
>Some Catalysts may just simply not allow dropping VLAN 1, as it can be the
>only Administrative Vlan.
>
>If you have a SmartNet contract, you might just call TAC to get a quick and
>straight forward answer to this.  The call will probably last you 5 minutes
>+/-.
>
>-Mark Odette II

x$:0`0:$x,,,,x$:0`0:$x,,,,x$:0`0:$x,,,,x$:

Lucent Technologies
NetworkCare Professional Services
http//www.lucent.com/netcare/
Darren S. Crawford - CCNP, CCDP, CCIE TBA

Northwest Region - Sacramento Office
Voicemail (916) 859-5200 x310
Pager (800) 467-1467
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"You always have time for things you put first" - Tucker Resources