Ole,

It is not unheard of for a cable between the CSU and the demarc (SJ) to
start flaking out. You said that "you did that", meaning what? Did you
replace the cable and reset the WIC or did you do one and not the other?
I've had a simple reseat of the cable into the back of the SJ fix problems
for me before. I would have done one first and then tried the other rather
than taking a shotgun approach because the shotgun method doesn't allow you
to discover exactly what the problem was. What about your service-module?
(show service-module XX) Was it reporting any problems? Most specifically
did it register any bipolar violations? It's been my experience that bipolar
violations indicate a local copper problem which would have pointed more to
the cable than to the WIC. You could still have a SJ problem. When looping
the SJ, they cannot test through the port to which you are connecting.
(Unless you provide a loopback plug for them to test to). Further, sometimes
SJs (depending on vendor) have a switch or software option for AMI or B8ZS.
If there is a switch and if your service is suppose to be using B8ZS, then
the SJ should be set for B8ZS. Some vendors' SJs can get flakey and
alternate between AMI and B8ZS, causing you problems. Anytime I dispatch a
LEC technician I request that they check that option and set it accordingly,
rather than leaving it set to AUTO detect. (there's that "auto detect" stuff
again... :)

I'm not a big fan of integrated CSUs. I miss the days of having a standalone
CSU and then my router behind it. We would have 2 POTS lines, 1 for the CSU
and 1 for the router. We were able to pinpoint our problems and get
resolution much faster. Always check what your CSU has to say about a line
condition. You apt to get more detail from it rather than from a simple
interface command output. Most CSUs record performance information in
increments of 15 minute periods (96 blocks) for a 24 hour period. You can
then see nearly exactly what was occurring over the past day and when it
occurred.

HTH,
Chris