I'm working through the different ways one can configure CHAP
authentication between two routers over a PPP serial link.

If I configure ppp encap and ppp chap authentication and both sides
of the link and use the global:

        username  password

for identification, the link comes up and IPCP is established.  The
routers have hostnames defined to be "rtr-2505" and "rtr-2514".

When I try to use the "simpler" CHAP config, where one can encode
in the interface directly the same hostname and password, I see
the error:

PPP Serial0: Using alternative CHAP hostname something
PPP Serial0: CHAP Challenge id=14 received from something
PPP Serial0: ignoring challenge with local name

On both rtrs I have the following defined on the serial interface:
        ppp encap
        ppp authentication chap
        ppp chap hostname something
        ppp chap password else

there are no usernames defined globally.

Ideas?

Thanks