From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
bergenpeak
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 10:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PPP link negotiation problem [7:31132]

Thanks for the responses so far.  I still don't understand the
purpose of the "ppp chap hostname" command under the interface
config.

Using this command, I am now able to get a PPP link up.  But I must
do the following:

rtr-a config:

        username rtr-b

        int serial 0
                encap ppp
                ppp chap hostname rtr-a

rtr-b config:

        username rtr-a

        int serial 0
                encap ppp
                ppp chap hostname rtr-b

That is, I must define the hostnames to be *different* on each
side, and then define the corresponding global username to match the
remote hostname on each side of the link.  Thus, the interface
"ppp chap hostname" command doesn't appaear to simplify the CHAP
config.   This seems to defeat the purpose of this command as suposedly
it's used to simplify the CHAP config so that the same hostname can be
used on multiple routers.  Or so its stated in the ICRC book (page 373).

So, I'm not really sure what benefit there is for this command,
as it doesn't seem to simplify the config.

But I'm sure I'm missing something... :-)

Thanks for any more info/comments.