From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
the-other-jason
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: tunneling with previously undefined endpoint? [7:32057]

Unless the pix is really cheap, this might be a tough sell. We could do
it fairly cheaply already -- a 1720 at work with (free) Cisco vpn
clients to take home. But then they start saying at work, well, we need
a spare, and of course there is maintenance .....

the problem, frankly, is that this is not a mission critical function,
just something that would allow an engineer to provide level 3 support
to the NOC after hours ...

Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll ask my SE

Jason

Mark Odette II wrote:

> Jason-
>
> Why not just invest in a half-dozen (or however many you need) PIX 501's
and
> be done with it.
> This way, you ditch the "Cheapo Router", the 2500, and the "IPSEC
> appliance".
>
> If I recall correctly, the PIX 501 has PPPoE support (after all, that's
the
> niche market its targeting!) and it can do IPSEC with dynamic maps (I
> believe).
>
> And the plus side is, you get to learn hands-on some PIX stuff, if you
> didn't have the experience already!
>
> BTW- PIX 501s are "Nationally Back-Ordered for 3DES 10 User Units" as of
the
> last I heard from the distributor last week, until Mid to late February.
:(