I think, as is often the case, I wasn't clear enough.  Let me
try to restate the issue another way.

When you connect a terminal server to a console port, the
telnet protocol is not operating on that link.  That link is a
simple async serial terminal session.  Because of that, I don't
understand why "transport input telnet" works:  the input is
*not* telnet, it's async serial!

If you telnet to a terminal server and from there do a reverse
telnet to a device, your actual telnet session--and I'm being
very specific here--stops at the terminal server.  The protocol
being carried on the async line is *not* telnet.

Does that make more sense?  Okay, back to the coffee for me...

Thanks,
John

---- On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Daniel Cotts
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> "all" works because telnet is a subset of "all" - it is
included without
> being specifically named. Do a "show line" to determine the
mapping of
> line
> numbers to ports - then do a "show line 1" or whatever. Lots
more
> output!
> Look on the line that starts "Allowed transports"
> We are used to configuring terminal servers with ip host
mapping a name
> an ip and port. A more bare bones implementation would have
us "telnet
> 2002"
> or whatever port we wished to reach. Try that.

[7:33511]

> > I was in a discussion with someone this weekend regarding
terminal
> > server configuration and the following issue came up.  CCO
states that
> > on the terminal server, at the very least "transport input
> > telnet" needs
> > to be configured, if not "transport input all".  Why is
this?

> > With a terminal server, we are connecting to a console port
> > that has no
> > concept of IP or telnet.  You connect to the console port
using async
> > serial terminal protocols, *not* telnet.  Sure, it may be
> > called Reverse
> > Telnet, but the telnet protocol is not end-to-end; it stops
at the
> > terminal server.  From the terminal server to the device it
> > is connected
> > to you are simply using async serial.  So, why do we need
transport
> > input telnet??
> >
> > We did verify that without this command it will not work.
Also, why
> > would the ALL keyword work?  As far as I can see, none of
the
> > available
> > protocols make any sense in this context.
> >
> > Just curious.  Perhaps I'm suffering from a brain cloud
today.  :-)

> > John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Get your own "800" number