That makes sense except for the fact that the telnet protocol
is *not* running on the console link!  It's called reverse
telnet but that doesn't describe the protocol that is actually
on the link itself.  That's why it's curious to me why I would
have to permit telnet for it to work.

I blame you for getting me on this thread in the first
place!  :-)  But I'd really like to find an answer.

---- On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Ouellette, Tim
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Are you still going on about this *grin*
>
> Sure feels weird being call the "someone" in your earlier
comment of "I
> was
> in a discussion with someone this weekend regarding terminal
server
> configuration".   Hehhehe. The conclusion I came up with is as
> followings.
> Let's say your on a router and you ping your ethernet
interface.  The
> pings
> actually goes out on the wire and loops back to test your own
interface
> (obviously loopbacks are different).  But I would think that
in the
> concept
> of a telnet, the reverse telnet goes out on the wire to the
far end and
> then
> loops back establishing a connection?  Also, as an FYI, when
a do a
> "transport input all" on my terminal server, it
substitues "transport
> input
> LAT MOP TELNET blah blah" for me.  So the telnet is actually
a subset of
> the
> ALL parameter.?
>
> Did that make any sense or do I need more coffee?
>
> Tim

reverse
> telnet to a device, your actual telnet session--and I'm being
> very specific here--stops at the terminal server.  The
protocol
> being carried on the async line is *not* telnet.
>
> Does that make more sense?  Okay, back to the coffee for me...
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> ---- On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Daniel Cotts
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> > "all" works because telnet is a subset of "all" - it is
> included without
> > being specifically named. Do a "show line" to determine the
> mapping of
> > line
> > numbers to ports - then do a "show line 1" or whatever.
Lots