From: Baety Wayne A1C 18 CS/SCBX [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 2002e941f30f% 18:11
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: term no mon command [7:33658]

There are 4 places logging information is sent; via the monitor, the
console, SNMP, and a buffer.  Each logging destination can be likened to 4
different views.  In each view you can control the amount or severity of the
logging information (debug, informational, notification, warn, errors,
alerts, critical, emergencies).  When you enable a view to have a certain
logging level, it enables all higher logging level messages as well to be
outputted to the view.

  When you plug a terminal into the console port with an async cable this is
called the console view (line con 0).  The command 'logging console '
controls the severity of logging information sent to the console.  You can
totally disable all logging to the console with the command 'no logging
console'.

  When you telnet to an active interface on the router this is called the
monitor view (line vty 0 4 and line aux 0).  The command 'logging monitor
' controls the severity of logging information sent to the monitor.  By
default, you need to type 'terminal monitor' to actually activate this view
when you telnet. You can totally disable all logging to the monitor with the
command 'no logging monitor'.

  When you configure the router to output logging information to a syslog
server with 'logging ' this is called the buffered view.  The
command 'logging trap ' controls the severity of logging information sent
to the buffer. You can totally disable all logging to the console with the
command 'no logging trap'.

  When you configure the router to output logging information to a SNMP
network management station with 'snmp-server host  '
this is called the SNMP view.  The command 'logging history ' controls
the severity of logging information sent via SNMP.  You can totally disable
all logging via SNMP with the command 'no logging history '.  Note: For
the SNMP view you must explicitly disallow the logging severity level.

  If you need more information on the use of all of the logging levels and
what information is actually printed at each level take a look at the
troubleshooting commands guide

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/fun_r
/frprt3/frtroubl.htm

(watch the line wrap)