I would hate to see a CCIE with no work experience, but the last guy who
announced his passing the CCIE lab in this group a few weeks ago, not only
had no experience in the real world with routers or Cisco stuff, he claimed
that he got his CCNA to CCIE in 9 months!!!

I was shocked, and unless he's lying, there's at least one out there who has
his CCIE, and never saw a router in production.  Not only that, he didn't
have to troubleshoot in his lab ( no longer a requirement), so who knows if
he ever troubleshot a router/network issue, WAN. LAN, etc,  (which is huge
part of job), who knows if he ever provisioned a network, or even knows the
product line!

I agree that I wouldn't expect a salary of over $40-50K.  I'm not sure if
I'd even hire one with no experience.