You mentioned restricting demand circuit to stubby, totally stubby, and
NSSA areas and I had never really thought about that.  A quick search on
CCO turned this up:

Implementation Considerations
Evaluate the following considerations before implementing this
feature:

Because LSAs that include topology changes are flooded over an on
demand circuit, it is advised to put demand circuits within OSPF stub
areas, or within NSSAs to isolate the demand circuits from as many
topology changes as possible.

To take advantage of the on demand circuit functionality within a stub
area or NSSA, every router in the area must have this feature loaded. If
this feature is deployed within a regular area, all other regular areas
must also support this feature before the demand circuit functionality
can take effect. This is because type 5 external LSAs are flooded
throughout all areas.

You do not want to do on a broadcast-based network topology because the
overhead protocols (such as hellos and LSAs) cannot be successfully
suppressed, which means the link will remain up.

The middle paragraph interests me.  I was under the impression that for
demand circuit to work, only the routers on each end of the circuit
needed to support this feature.  At this point I don't understand why
other routers in the area would need to support it.

Any thoughts?

John

>>> "Priscilla Oppenheimer"  1/31/02 3:56:47 PM

I waited for an expert to answer, but none did. But sometimes seeing
that
I'm intrigued (and/or confused), smokes them out of their holes. ;-)

It doesn't make sense that turning on MD5 authentication with OSPF
would
cause the demand-circuit to stay up. MD5 doesn't send the key over the

wire. It's configured into each router and used to generate a message
digest that is appended to packets, but it doesn't cause extra
packets.

Also if the routers agree that this is a demand circuit, you shouldn't
have
to filter the Hellos to 224.0.0.5, and doing so shouldn't cause the
routers
to declare each other dead. Something funny is happening there. I do
see
that Doyle and other references say to implement demand circuits only
within stub, totally stubby, or NSSA areas. You mentioned that you're
doing
it in Area 0. I wonder if that's a problem.

Could you send us your configs? Since it's a lab network, perhaps you
could
let us see the MD5 keys. (That is, don't configure service
password-encryption. That way we can see the keys in your configs and
maybe
notice any problem with them.) Thanks.

Priscilla

At 12:23 PM 1/31/02, Richard Newman wrote:
>Hi all.
>I was working on a lab with an ISDN link between two of my OSPF
routers. The
>link would come up if the Frame cloud went away. Normal stuff link
would be
>initiated as usual. However, since area 0 had authentication turned
on
>broadcasts from 224.0.0.5 kept the isdn link up all the time. If I
filtered
>out the 224.0.0.5 from being interesting the ospf neighbors would get
>terminated at the dead interval. When I turn off authen. from area 0
all
>worked as normal.
>
>Is this a normal occurrance? When area authentication is turned on do
the
>key exchanges still happen even over a demand-circuit?
>
>Thanks...
>Richard Newman

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com