My advice for someone in pure transmission WAN switching is to get
thoroughly familiar with MPLS, as well as the evolving Generalized
MPLS, IP over Optical, etc.  If you have telephony knowledge, all the
better--yes, VoIP requires IP knowledge, but the PBX, signaling,
operational services, etc., are rarer in the data world.