Actually I believe that WAN-switching is a tremendously useful skill,
because it is difficult to commoditize the way that, say, IOS has been
commoditized.  A full discussion of this can rapidly degenerate into a bunch
of economics supply and demand curves, but basically it's very difficult for
some novice to really learn WAN-switching.  There's a large barrier to
entry.  Anybody can just pick up a couple of routers off Ebay on the cheap,
learn IOS, and then compete for a basic Cisco networking job.  Try doing
that with a couple of WAN-switches - it's basically a no-go.  This serves as
pretty good job security for the guys who know WAN-switching, as they don't
have to put up with relentless commoditization of skills that the IOS guys
do.

On the other hand, if you want to learn Wan-switching, then why Stratacom?
It is almost certainly better to learn, say, Lucent/Cascade or Nortel
Wan-switching - something that has a higher shelf life.  Anybody who's
followed Stratacom should have noted that Cisco's support of the platform
was lukewarm at best, and should therefore have seen the handwriting on the
wall.

While some of you might object to the above paragraph with a financial
argument by pointing out the strong balance sheet of Cisco vs. the horrific
ones of Lucent and Nortel, I believe that argument is neither here nor
there.  Sure, Cisco is doing well financially.  But not Cisco Stratacom,
which I'm sure is a drag on their bottom line.  Conversely, while Lucent and
Nortel are doing badly financially, their Wan-switching divisions are doing
well (in fact, I believe Wan-switches are one of the few divisions that
still generate decent profit).   Lucent and Nortel therefore have had a much
greater incentive to develop and promote their Wan-switches than Cisco has
for Stratacom.