I would pontificate on the below.  Several vendors have jumped on the
'training gravy train'.  Used to be, vendors would train users with the idea
that a knowledgeable operator would benefit all.  Apparently, the huge
training licensing schemes have clouded the original intent of
vendor-specific training ---- what makes us look good, makes you look good.

One big difference in IT is the ugly reality of constant change.  A company
hiring an accountant, for example, would rarely need to re-train that staff
in mathematics; 1+1 is generally the same as it was when rocks and sticks
were used for counting.  Anyone looked at IPV6 lately?  How's about 802.3ad?
Gigabit Ethernet?  VOIP?  Fiber Power-loss calculations?  ad. nauseum.

Wise employers (Enron and A. Andersen excluded, of course, a new 'ethic; of
expecting "nothing") need to understand that training is just as important
as that 7% advertising budget.  This generally means time and money for
'pump priming'.  You can figure out the obvious advantages.

As for 'dying at some point', long-term readers may have heard my 'whine'
about stress strongly contributing to the early demise of more than one
close friend who let IT get to them over the years.  None of these folks,
IMHO, received remotely realistic training budget or time allotments.  Those
things, you see, 'expected'.

While the Enron execs of IT management may be golfing, the good ones
understand the value of a good crew.  Bottom line, if you cannot negotiate
the training opportunities, time, or commitment; leave.  And be good enough
at what you do so your absence hurts.  Badly.

Catch 22?  Sure.  Most folks in IT do enjoy learning and being good at what
they do.  But to suffer, as some have indicated, two jobs, one for money and
one to keep current enough to do the first, is neither wise for the employee
nor the employer.

And as for the vendors ---- Does training for operators of your equipment/OS
fall into advertising budget? Where are the grants?  I have *begged*, as a
public sector employee, two well-known OS vendors for *some* training
directly from their (large) staff.  Forget it.  So much for 'corporate
ethics'.

So, go ahead, guys.  Ignore your wife, forget your kids, stay up 'til the
wee hours.  You will find, after many years, that there is a cost incurred
--- it will be up to you to decide if you earned enough to pay it off.

Best, G.