Steven A. Ridder wrote:

> is PPP connection-oriented with acks?   I thought it wasn't.

Steven,

No.  Yes.  I think the strict definition of "connection oriented" relates to
layer 3 or above protocols (such as TCP).  Of course, PPP does negotiate a
logical connection between two end points.  But it does so at layer 2.  And
you are absolutely correct that PPP does NOT ack data packets with control
characters in the way I described earlier.  I was merely refering to the
"ACK" that you will see ONLY during the PPP negotiation phase (and only if
you are using a sniffer or debugging ppp negotiation).  Bisynch protocols
use a similar mechanism throughout data transmission that PPP only does
during negotiation.  Sorry for adding to the confusion.  The terminology is
bad enough without my help.

Scott