Priscilla,

Thanks for taking the time for the long answer.  Having fought PPP at the
LCP level so many times between different vendor platforms and as a result
of just generally misconfiguring things (esp. authentication), the idea that
PPP was character-oriented in that regard was intuitive to me.  I have had
plenty of opportunity to observe 'debug ppp neg' and 'debug ppp auth' and
will no doubt have more in the future.

I had never given the data frames as character-oriented concept much thought
until today.  It all makes good sense the way you explained it though.  I
guess it has a lot less in common with HDLC than the casual observer might
be led to believe.  The reference to the HDLC frame structure seems
obligitory in ppp literature.

Maybe somebody will get a CCIE written question right as a result of this
little discussion.  It was certainly interesting either way!

Regards,

Scott