Many thanks for that Priscilla!  I was pushing the limits of terminology
almost (hopefully just almost) to the point of clouding the issue more than
clarifying it.

I wonder if you, and others, would comment on ppp as a character-oriented
protocol.  I did a search on the internet and found some university teaching
papers that characterize synchronous ppp as character-oriented while at the
same time acknowleging the fact that it is based on the bit-synchronous HDLC
frame format.  I guess the LCP is the culprit?  This is purely acedemic of
course but interesting nonetheless.  It seems kind of a hybrid to me.  An
out-of-band but yet sorta in-band character-oriented aspect that advances to
purely (in my opinion) bit-synchronous operation (to include the HDLC flag).

Regards,

Scott