How many Macs on the network? How large of a cable-range do you have on the
interface? If you have 250+ Macs and a cable-range spanning one net such as
1050-1050 then a new node will go through a lot of grief trying to find a
spare node address.

Priscilla's post reminded me that clearing PRAM solves a lot of Mac
troubles.

Here's an oldie:
Troubleshooting MacIntosh Networks : A Comprehensive Guide to
Troubleshooting and Debugging MacIntosh Networks/Book and Disk
by Kurt Vandersluis, Amr Eissa (Hardcover - April 1993)
Out of Print--Limited Availability From our Marketplace Sellers
 Used: $14.99 (From Amazon.com)
Kurt's methods are great. His co-author was more writer than tech.