From: Wilson, Christian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Flash upgrade disaster [7:35184]

Begging for help once again . . .

I have upgraded the flash in a 3640 from the 8 Mb chip to a 16 Mb chip.  I
did this by installing the second, 16 Mb chip into slot 1 of the
motherboard, leaving the original 8 Mb in slot 1, for a total of 24 Mb of
flash memory.  I then installed 12.1, which was the reason I needed to
upgrade the flash.  12.1 went on without a hitch, but when the router was
reloaded, it would run for about 30 minutes and then go into rommon mode. It
did this repeatedly, so I removed the 8 Mb chip, installed the 16 Mb chip
into slot 0, and then used xmodem to transfer 12.1 through the console, a
painstaking two hour task.  Now the file is on flash, but at reload the file
is unable to decompress, returning these errors:

Error: Uncompression of the image failed.
invalid compressed data-format violated

Error: zip decompress failed

***System received a software forced crash ***
signal = 0x17, code = 0x7, context = 0x0
PC = 0x80008094, cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

The crc checks are the same as displayed on the software centers web page. I
have downloaded a new copy of the file and it still did not work.  I put the
original 8 Mb chip in slot 0 and removed the 16 Mb chip, reloaded a fresh
11.3 image, and received the same errors.  What have I done??