For windows and HyperTerminal the command is ctrl + break.  Sometimes the
default version the comes with windows is buggy, so then you need to get
another program or download the updated version that comes with windows
called HyperTerminal Private Edition on www.hillgrave.com.  The updated
version is pretty good.

Steve