I also belive that it is possible to run isl/802.1Q over ethernet. I
seem to remember reading that the limiting factor was the age of the
ethernet hardware. The originally ethernet chips used in cisco network
modules only supported a fixed frame size. When ISL/802.1Q came along, the
hardware needed to support some additional space to accomadate the VLAN
info. This was a problem with older ethernet chips sets however the newer
hardware supports this. The chip sets used on the FE board did not have this
problem because they were already designed to allow for a larger frame.

     Can anyone verify my recollection???

  Oleg Oz..