Take a lesson from the financial markets. Call this an investment in the
future. The best time to buy stocks is when they are low. (
duhhhhhh!!!!!!!! )

The best time to educate and improve yourself is when the market is slow.
Now is the time to invest in yourself - training, experience, whatever you
can get.

the market is starting to come back. it's hard to tell, but this is because
jobs are a trailing indicator. Companies will delay new hiring until they
are certain the market is recovering. The economy is indeed recovering as we
speak, according to the leading indicators. This will not be reflected in
the current job market. We may not see the job market improve for several
more months. But I can tell you, I'm seeing a lot more in terms of customer
activity than I was seeing six months ago. Or three months ago, for that
matter. the biggies are VoIP and VPN, but there is a good share of
infrastructure upgrade. Without the idiots from defunct places like M1
mucking up the dialogue, customers are getting better advice IMHO, and are
seeing the value of investing now.

I suspect the real question here is whether or not there is value to being a
CCIE as opposed to some other certification, or expertise in networking in
general. We could debate this point until doomsday and never come up with a
definitive conclusion. IMHO the skills acquired during the CCIE Lab prep
process are valuable. The cert itself may or may not be of value to a
particular employer.

My own opinion - always invest in yourself. Invest in the skills that will
keep you challenged and keep you employed.

Chuck