I'm pretty good with QOS.  If you connect your special switch to a router
and you mark your packets with IP Prec or DiffServ (which one is it?) your
packet will remain marked until they reach the destination.  The only time
you would lose these markings is if a router is programmed to strip the
markings and replace them with something else.

As for your CoS bits, they will be fine until they hit a layer 3 device.  If
they remain on a large flat L2 network, then they will remain untouched.  If
the packets have to go through a router of some sort (because they need to
be routed to a different network) the L3 device will strip the layer 2
ethernet packet, replace them with it's own l2 packet based on what type of
link it's going out of (PPP, HDLC, another ethernet netowrk) and send it on
it's merry way.  Unfortuately, that L2 packet had your 802.1p bits in it and
it was trashed.  So you lost them (unless you have the router map l2 to l3).
Therefore, it's better to just mark L3.

Finally, just because you mark your packets, doesn't mean you'll get any
special treatment unles the routers are told to do so (unless you have WFQ
enabled on the router, as WFQ automatically classifies based on IP Prec or
DiffServ.).  Look up MQC to create policies to do things with your marked
packets.

--

RFC 1149 Compliant.

""TP""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].;
> I said "special switch": it is a switch with ethernet ports and voice
ports,
> with the voice processor and its stack.
> So, I can program the "special switch" in order to set the TOS (layer 3)
per