Phil,
The first bit within the Source Address Field is normally the I/G bit, to
define if the source address is individual (unicast) or group (multicast)
address. In an SRB bridged environment, this one bit is used to indicate if
any Routing Information Field  (RIF) information is present in the Token
frame following the SA field.

This bit will be set by hosts with the SRB environment and used by bridges
to indicate the above. The hosts will keep a "forwarding table" on how to
reach any required destination host.

If the host doesn't know how to get to a particular destination, it will
send out an explorer frame (all routes explorer -ARE) or a Spanning tree
explorer (SPE) frame to locate the destination. It will depending on your
bridged environment which explorer frame is used.

The first SRB enabled bridge in the path (from originator to destination)
will see that this is an explorer packet and add its route designator (RD)
information to the RIF. The first bridge will add the first ring number,
it's bridge number, and the ring number of the interface it going to send
the explorer packet out of.

When all said and done - the host will know how to reach that particular end
host and include RIF information in the token frame. The RII, will tell the
bridge that a RIF is present and forward the frame according to the RIF RC
and RD fields.

Ken Sexton
Data Network Engineering
ICG Communications