In the instance where the RII indicator is a 1 the
>frame will be 'source routed' if the frame is 'source
>routed' then surely this implies that the RIF must be
>manipulated in order to reflect the true Source Route

To comment of the above, the RII bit doesn't indicate whether the frame is a
specific routed frame or whether it is a explorer frame. It only indicates
whether the frame contains RIF information or not. The specifically routed
frame indicator is within the RIF (first three bits of the RC field, known
as the "type" or "broadcast" bits - 0xx = specifically routed frame, 10x =
ARE frame, 11x = SPE frame).

Maybe its the way its worded that may be the cause of confusion; I've never
read it to verify.

Ken Sexton
Data Network Engineering
ICG Communications