Ken,
   What I was getting at was that the SRB part of the
SRT bridge is still acting as a SRB bridge for those
nodes on that side of the network. Therefore when end
hosts on that network try to find a route through this
bridge to other end hosts on the SRB side of the
network the RIF field will be manipulated (for
spanning and explorer packets).  So to make the
sweeping statement that RIF fields will never change
on SRT bridges is very misleading to the newbie, (me
in this instance).

I conclude that it is safe to say that RIF will never
be manipulated on 'Transparent only' Bridges since
they don't exist.

Thx for the replies, Ken.

Phil.

--- "Sexton, Ken"  wrote: >
Phil,

> Can I therefore conclude that in a 'Source Route
> Transparent' Bridge the RIF field will indeed change
> ?
> Contrary to the whitepaper.
>
> On the above - In SRT mode, you are allowing the
> router to source route
> traffic and transparently bridge traffic on the same
> device (router), but
> any hosts on either bridging environment can not
> communicate amongst
> themselves. (i.e. a host on an SRB network cannot
> sent traffic destined for
> a host on the transparent side of the network). The
> SRT Bridge will never
> add or remove RIF information from a frame in order
> for the two technologies
> to communicate. This is where Source-route
> Translation bridging (SR/TLB)
> comes in.
>
> Now your above question needs some consideration.
> The router will now act as
> a "RIF end station", where a RIF table will be built
> for end stations on the
> SRB side, and a forwarding table for the transparent
> side. By creating a
> virtual ring within the router, all the token to
> ethernet frame conversion
> will take place (i.e MTU, bit ordering, etc) before
> the frame is sent on its
> way. It makes no sense to set the RII bit to a "1"
> when sending the traffic
> to a transparent end host, as it will not understand
> what to do with it
> anyway.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ken Sexton