What your describing is fairly common and you can "fix" this by adjusting
the delay metric of router interfaces in your path. In your example, you
could adjust the delay between the routers so that the path metrics are
equal.  This is, as you note, the preferred approach with IGRP/EIGRP to
manipulate metrics.

One thing to note though is that by making the paths appear equal, you are,
in fact, "lying" to the router R1.  Since the real bw and delay are not
equal, the router is doing what it should do, pick the path with the most
preferred route based on these factors.

If you have multiple routes with unequal cost, you can use the "variance"
command in IGRP/EIGRP so that you can send a fraction of packets over the
lesser preferred path.  In your case, if you used the command "variance 2"
under the EIGRP statement for R1, it would consider alternative, less
preferred paths as long as they were less than or equal to (2*preferred path
metric).  The router would then send half as many packets along the less
preferred path as the most preferred path. If you used "variance 3" it would
use (3*preferred path metric) and send 1/3 as many packets, etc. etc. for
any n value "variance n".

In your scenario, using the variance command may be preferred since you may
not want a less preferred path getting the same amount of packets as the
most preferred path.  Then again, since the delay values are so close, the
paths may, for all practical purposes, be roughly equal in performance, so
equal sharing of the paths may be better.  That's something you would have
to determine in practice, based on your particular network traffics
characteristics.

HTH,
Kent