Mark,

It sounds like you want to create a huge subnet that spans across 3 links?
If you are trying to have both the ethernet interface and the serial
interface be unnumbered to the loopback interface you would inherintly
introduce a problem to the router. The problem would be with the internal
logic of a router running IP (if in fact it is routing). Let's take this
scenario as an example. You are the router and you receive a packet destined
for 192.168.10.5 which interface do you shoot it out of if the serial
interface is addressed 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0 and the ethernet interface
is addressed 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0, and you don't have any more
specific static routes? You are now telling the router the 192.168.10.0/24
subnet is over here, and also saying the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet is over
here. I don't see the reasoning in why you would want to try something like
this, especially when you are using private addresses. Why not address the
ethernet interface seperately and then possibly use the unnumbered loopback
0 on the serial interface? If you want everything to be on the same subnet
you could just bridge everything.
I am quite familiar with IP, but not such an old head to know all of the
inner workings of DECnet. The DECnet concept of basically using a node
address instead of addressing each interface kindof goes along with this
type of setup you are trying by kindof establishing the loopback interface
as the node address. IP was designed to have each interface addressed. In IP
as I'm sure you know the mask portion of an IP address defines which hosts
reside on this link. By default in your setup there will be 2 connected
routes pointing packets destined for the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet to the
serial and the ethernet interfaces. If you add more specific routes to it
would fix that issue of not knowing which interface to push packets out of
since those routes would be more preferred, but I believe these more
specific routes would have to be manually entered, because a routing
protocol will simply advertise the addressed networks (RIP, IGRP) or subnets
(EIGRP, IS-IS, OSPF, BGP), not specific host routes.

Crazy idea, Good luck with it and please let us know how it works out for
you.

""Mark Odette II""  wrote in message
> OK, I'll make the question simpler.
>

> Can you use a loopback interface in the same respect that you would use an
> ethernet interface?
>
> Create the loopback:  Interface Loopback0
> Assign it an IP with a /24 mask : ip address 192.168.10.1
> Configure the subnet assigned to the loopback interface to a routing
> process, such as EIGRP or RIP.
> Assign many other hosts on a LAN or a WAN an IP address that is in the
same
> subnet as the loopback interface.
> Replicate the above configuration on Router at other end of FR network.
> add subnet assigned to far-end routers' loopback interface to local EIGRP
> AS, or RIP; do the same on the far-end routers' config for the same EIGRP
AS
> or RIP configuration.
>
> And then, configure FR Subinterface with IP Unnumbered Loopback0, and
route
> traffic across the FR network, with the traffic orininating from either
the
> Router, or another host (if configuration above is legal) on the subnet
that
> is assigned to the Loopback interface.
>
> What I want to do, is configure a VoIP enabled router with a loopback
> interface assigned to 192.168.10.1, and several LAN hosts with the same
> subnet assignment, i.e., 192.168.10.2, .3, .4, etc., and a /24 subnet mask
> for all hosts including loopback interface.
> I then want to create and assign IP Unnumbered loopbackX to a FR P-to-P
> subinterface.
>
> Create EIGRP AS to route Subnets assigned to loopback interfaces on each
> respective router.
>
> Mirror image this configuration on the other end of the "wire" (FR
Network).

> Configure Dial-Peers with VOIP destinations pointing to the loopback
> interface of the peer router (other end of the FR Network).
>
> Is this Possible??
>

> The reason why I want to use Loopback interfaces, is because I plan to
> assign a separate subnet to the FastEthernet Interface, and don't believe
> that the use of the Secondary command will work, i.e., you can't specify
IP