  From: Tshon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
  Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 4:11 PM
  To: Mark Odette II
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Subject: Re: Loopback Interfaces..long reply, read carefully please to
[7:38285]

  The answer everyone keeps giving you is no.

  Mark Odette II wrote:

OK, For some reason, my first time of sending this reply got chopped, sohere
it is again.Brian, et al.,Please Note the following:***All I wanted to know
was: Can the Loopback Interface be used to host acomplete subnet (and the
Router make routing decisions with this inteface),or is its functionality
such that it will always respond like an interfaceconfigured with a
255.255.255.255 mask, and 86 traffic not destined for ITon the same
subnet??I'm not looking for someone to help me make a completely working
config forall routers in this implementation.The idea is to do
such:!Interface FastEthernet0!  description Connected to PIX Outside
Interface, and PIX Inside Interfaceis subnet for Data traffic.! Ip adress
x.x.x.x 255.255.255.x!Interface Loopback0!      description VoIP subnet with VoIP
originating/terminating on thisRouter... other hosts also placed on the same
subnet at
 a later date, andconnecting via the Ethernet Port which connects to a
switch that the otherhosts are also plugging into.!     Ip address 192.168.101.1
255.255.255.0!Interface Serial0!        NO IP ADDRESS!  Encap Frame-Relay!Interface
Serial0.1!      description Connected to the Internet!  Ip address x.x.x.x
x.x.x.252!      interface-dlci 16!Interface Serial0.100!        description Connected
HQ over PVT FR for Voice traffic!      ip unnumbered loopback0!
interface-dlci 100!     {insert Map-Class Tag here}!{Insert Route-Maps
Here}!{Insert Voice configuration here... a.k.a. Dial Peers}!{Insert QoS
config here... a.k.a. Map Classes}!Router EIGRP 1750!Network 192.168.100.0
>>Brian""Mark Odette II""  wrote in
message[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
OK, I'll make the question simpler.Can you use a loopback interface in the
same respect that you would use anethernet interface?Create the loopback:
Interface Loopback0Assign it an IP with a /24 mask : ip address
192.168.10.1Configure the subnet assigned to the loopback interface to a
routingprocess, such as EIGRP or RIP.Assign many other hosts on a LAN or a
WAN an IP address that is in the
same
subnet as the loopback interface.Replicate the above configuration on Router
at other end of FR network.add subnet assigned to far-end routers' loopback
interface to local EIGRPAS, or RIP; do the same on the far-end routers'
config for the same EIGRP
AS
or RIP configuration.And then, configure FR Subinterface with IP Unnumbered
Loopback0, and
route
traffic across the FR network, with the traffic orininating from either
the
Router, or another host (if configuration above is legal) on the subnet
that
is assigned to the Loopback interface.What I want to do, is configure a VoIP
enabled router with a loopbackinterface assigned to 192.168.10.1, and
several LAN hosts with the samesubnet assignment, i.e., 192.168.10.2, .3,
.4, etc., and a /24 subnet maskfor all hosts including loopback interface.I
then want to create and assign IP Unnumbered loopbackX to a FR
P-to-Psubinterface.Create EIGRP AS to route Subnets assigned to loopback
interfaces on eachrespective router.Mirror image this configuration on the
other end of the "wire" (FR
Network).
Configure Dial-Peers with VOIP destinations pointing to the
loopbackinterface of the peer router (other end of the FR Network).Is this
Possible??The reason why I want to use Loopback interfaces, is because I
plan toassign a separate subnet to the FastEthernet Interface, and don't
believethat the use of the Secondary command will work, i.e., you can't
specify
IP
Unnumbered FastEthernet0 and have the Secondary IP address used....
ipunnumbered fastethernet0 will use the FastEthernets' Primary address,
which
is not desired.The Primary Subnet assigned to the FastEthernet Interface
will be NATTranslating with a PIX FW (PIX will be doing the NAT) to hit the
Internet.For Topology description:Router HQ  connects to internet on one
subinterface, while connecting to 3remote offices on a private FR network on
a second subinterface.Router Remote1 Will be connecting to the internet on
one subinterface,
while
connecting back to HQ on separate FR subinterface for VoIP over FR
trafficonly (no Data traffic)Router Remote2 will be doing the same as
Remote1Router Remote3 will also be doing the same as Remote1... So much for
a simpler reply. :)Thanks in advance for everyones' comments.-----Original
Message-----From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf OfTshonSent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 11:44 PMTo:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: Loopback Interfaces... [7:37933]What in the
world is the question about, what are you trying to do. Ping the remote
routers, they have a serialinterface that you can ping, or the ethernet.
Why do
 you need aloopback, what routing protocol are yourunning, where is a
config?  We can't figure out what you are talkingabout, we need your help to
help you.Brian Lodwick wrote:
This has got to be the most confusing message I have ever read.A loopback
interface is just a virtual interface. It's not a real
interface
it's just a virtual interface you can create within the router, and you
can
create as many as you want.The biggest reason someone would want to use a
loopback interface would
be
for resiliency. If you build a certain session to the loopback
interface(BGP, DLSW...) and you have more than one path to reach this router
thesession will not die if a certain interface dies.
___________ (                 )------- r1  >>Brian""Mark Odette II""  wrote
in message[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Just when I  thought I understood Loopback interfaces, I decided
whileredesigning a network, that I would use them.... but now I'm
questioning
my
comprehension.Somebody clear the confusion for me- Please.This is what I'm
wanting to do, but not sure if this is proper
utilization,
much less whether or not it will work:RouterHQ connecting to 3 Remote
Routers (branch offices) via FR Pvt
Network
RouterHQ has 2 Ethernet Interfaces, but the Remotes Do NOT....They only
have
one.(I think without pause: "No Problem, I can just create a Loopback
interface
to take care of the other subnet.")The FR Pvt Network is only for Voice
Traffic, while all data traffice
will
be going out another interface that is using IP UnNumbered
InterfaceFastEthernet0.Here is where my quandry lays.  I can't create a
Secondary address, as Ibelieve the IP UnNumbered command will use the
primary address on theEthernet Interface.So, can I create a Loopback
interface, and treate it like a Ethernetinterface, as such that I can assign
an IP to the Loopback interface,
but
it
have a /24 mask, and other devices on the local network can also be
keyed
for the same subnet as the Loopback, making it where I can give the
command
IP UnNumbered Lo0 to a Serial SubInterface??I thought I could, but then got
concerned when I hopped on CCO, and did
lookup on Loopback interfaces, and read a blurb about traffic NOT
destined
for the LoopBack Interface itself will be routed to 'ye old trashcan'
i.e.,
Null Interface.Somebody please tell me that I can send traffic from one end
of the
circuit
to the other and have it destined for a node OTHER than the
LoopbackInterface with that node being on the same subnet as the Loopback
interface.
Thanks.Mark
Message Posted
at:http://www.groupstudy.com/form/read.php?f=7&i=38285&t=38285--------------
------------------------------------FAQ, list archives, and subscription
info: http://www.groupstudy.com/list/cisco.htmlReport misconduct and
Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]