From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Mark Odette II
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 12:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Loopback Interfaces..long reply, read carefully please to
[7:38285]

OK, For some reason, my first time of sending this reply got chopped, so
here it is again.

Brian, et al.,
Please Note the following:

***All I wanted to know was: Can the Loopback Interface be used to host a
complete subnet (and the Router make routing decisions with this inteface),
or is its functionality such that it will always respond like an interface
configured with a 255.255.255.255 mask, and 86 traffic not destined for IT
on the same subnet??

I'm not looking for someone to help me make a completely working config for
all routers in this implementation.

The idea is to do such:

!Interface FastEthernet0
!       description Connected to PIX Outside Interface, and PIX Inside Interface
is subnet for Data traffic.
!       Ip adress x.x.x.x 255.255.255.x

!Interface Loopback0
!       description VoIP subnet with VoIP originating/terminating on this
Router... other hosts also placed on the same subnet at a later date, and
connecting via the Ethernet Port which connects to a switch that the other
hosts are also plugging into.
!       Ip address 192.168.101.1 255.255.255.0

!Interface Serial0
!       NO IP ADDRESS
!       Encap Frame-Relay

!Interface Serial0.1
!       description Connected to the Internet
!       Ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.252
!       interface-dlci 16

!Interface Serial0.100
!       description Connected to HQ over PVT FR for Voice traffic
!      ip unnumbered loopback0
!       interface-dlci 100
!       {insert Map-Class Tag here}

!{Insert Route-Maps Here}
!{Insert Voice configuration here... a.k.a. Dial Peers}
!{Insert QoS config here... a.k.a. Map Classes}

!Router EIGRP 1750
!Network 192.168.100.0 >>Brian

""Mark Odette II""  wrote in message
> OK, I'll make the question simpler.
>

> Can you use a loopback interface in the same respect that you would use an
> ethernet interface?
>
> Create the loopback:  Interface Loopback0
> Assign it an IP with a /24 mask : ip address 192.168.10.1
> Configure the subnet assigned to the loopback interface to a routing
> process, such as EIGRP or RIP.
> Assign many other hosts on a LAN or a WAN an IP address that is in the
same
> subnet as the loopback interface.
> Replicate the above configuration on Router at other end of FR network.
> add subnet assigned to far-end routers' loopback interface to local EIGRP
> AS, or RIP; do the same on the far-end routers' config for the same EIGRP
AS
> or RIP configuration.
>
> And then, configure FR Subinterface with IP Unnumbered Loopback0, and
route
> traffic across the FR network, with the traffic orininating from either
the
> Router, or another host (if configuration above is legal) on the subnet
that
> is assigned to the Loopback interface.
>
> What I want to do, is configure a VoIP enabled router with a loopback
> interface assigned to 192.168.10.1, and several LAN hosts with the same
> subnet assignment, i.e., 192.168.10.2, .3, .4, etc., and a /24 subnet mask
> for all hosts including loopback interface.
> I then want to create and assign IP Unnumbered loopbackX to a FR P-to-P
> subinterface.
>
> Create EIGRP AS to route Subnets assigned to loopback interfaces on each
> respective router.
>
> Mirror image this configuration on the other end of the "wire" (FR
Network).

> Configure Dial-Peers with VOIP destinations pointing to the loopback
> interface of the peer router (other end of the FR Network).
>
> Is this Possible??
>

> The reason why I want to use Loopback interfaces, is because I plan to
> assign a separate subnet to the FastEthernet Interface, and don't believe
> that the use of the Secondary command will work, i.e., you can't specify
IP