Sam,

IIRC, Cisco uses 64 byte packets as the baseline.  FYI, I have been
conducting some throughput tests on 2 2621's in the lab and here are some
results for you.  I used TTCP between 2 Sparc ultras for the traffic. The
sparc ultras can generate about 90Mbps with no routers between them, so the
2621's are the limiting factor and not TTCP or the sparcs. I used a window
size of 65,535 and the max packet size for my tests:

No fast switching       9.3 Mbps
W/ fast switching       51.2 Mbps
W/ Netflow      46.5 Mbps
W/ Cef  51.2 Mbps

Nat, no fast switching  8.1 Mbps
Nat, w/ fast switching  31.5 Mbps
Nat, w/ netflow 14.1 Mbps
Nat, w/ cef     29.5 Mbps

ACL, no fast switching  8.7 Mbps
ACL, w/ fast switching  40.4 Mbps
ACL, w/ netflow 46.5 Mbps
ACL, w/ cef     43.9 Mbps

The IOS used for this testing was 12.1.5(T9)

(the ACL was 20 entries, all numbers are averages of 5 tests, but the
deviations were very small)

The thing I found most interesting was that for the most part, using simple
fast switching produced as good or better results than netflow or CEF.  The
only exception to this was with the ACL, but fast switching was only a few
Mbps behind netflow and CEF.  Also, notice the suprisingly bad performance
of netflow when using NAT.  I ran this test many times with different NAT
configurations and the results were always consistent.  My local Cisco SE
didn't really have a good explanation, and I haven't tried to really track
down the issue, but I wouldn't use netflow if your using NAT. :-) (also
notice there is a 40% performance hit when using NAT in the best case)

Keep in mind these were single, persistent flows, so they did not simulate
real-world traffic patterns.  However, it does give an idea of the top end
performance of the 2621. (suprisingly better than I expected given the
low-end nature of the box) I should also mention that the CPU hovered around
99% for the duration of the tests.

HTH,
Kent