At 12:01 PM 3/22/02, s vermill wrote:
>All,
>
>I agree that the industry has settled on pps.

Router and switch vendors use ppp to advertise throughput measurements of
packets through their devices. This is just one minor aspect of network
performance.

>  And yes, the smaller the
>packet size the greater the number appears.

The vendors do their tests with all packet sizes. They bandy about the one
that's best.

This has nothing to do with actual traffic patterns and isn't a
recommendation on packet sizes that should be used, as I'm sure you realize.

>However, if you look at the
>ratio of header to payload, smaller packet sizes seem to result in lower
>throughput as measured in bits or bytes.

What problem are you trying to solve? What performance metric are you
trying to measure?

When measuring application-layer throughput, it's common practice not to
count the headers. The measurement is application-layer bytes per second.
If these bytes are being divided into small chunks and each chunk has
headers that take up bandwidth, then application-layer throughput won't be
so good. If these bytes are divided into larger chunks, then a smaller
percentage of bandwidth is consumed by headers, and application-layer
throughput is better.

Common wisdom used to be to always maximize packet sizes to ensure optimum
application-layer throughput.

Maximum packet sizes can cause excessive serialization delay on low-speed
output interfaces, however. If you have a voice or other delay-sensitive
application, then maybe you shouldn't use maximum packet size. Or maybe you
should use one of the many link fragmentation technologies, such as FRF.12.

Again, what problem are you trying to solve?

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com