Vendors usually quote the packets per second rate based on 64-byte packets
because that makes the number look more impressive (i.e. larger)! The 2661
router may be able to keep pace at "wire speed" on 10-Mbps Ethernet.

(You may still have a bottleneck if your outgoing WAN isn't that fast, but
that's another issue.)

If the router can do wire speed for 64 byte packets, the number you will
see is 14,880 packets per second.

If the router can do that with 64 byte packets, then it can keep up with
large packets also. Vendors often don't advertise the packets per second
for larger packets, however, because the number is smaller because there
are fewer packets arriving per second.

FYI: here's how the 14,880 packets per second number is derived:

A 64 byte packet is actually

64 bytes header, data, FCS
  8 bytes preamble
12 bytes inter-frame gap
-----
84 bytes = 672 bits

On 10,000,000 bits per second Ethernet, that means the maximum packets per
seconds is 10,000,000/672 = 14,880.

Priscilla

At 03:14 PM 3/20/02, sam sneed wrote:
>I noticed Cisco uses pps when they give their specs for routers, firewalls,
>etc. What is the assumed packet size when they come up with these specs? I'm
>planning on using 2 2621's in HSRP mode (getting default routes via BGP) and
>need to be able to support a constant 10 Mb/sec and would like know if these
>routers will do the trick.
>thanks

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com