Thinkworker and other MPLS fans,

MPLS does not route; it's a switching or forwarding
technology. How does MPLS get it's routing information?
Usually from a dynamic routing protocol, either BGP for
inter-domain routing or an IGP (IS-IS, OSPF, RIP, EIGRP) for
intra-AS routing.

That's the simple, unhelpful answer to your question. I hope
I'll have a better explanation after next week after
MPLScon. If you're in the DC area (McLean, VA), you might
should go to at least the first day of tutorials (Monday
March 25). For the money, you can't beat it: half price if
you sign up before the event by web or fax.

Two theory / background books on this, in addition to
Pepelnjak & Guichard, and Alwayn:

1. MPLS: Implementing the Technology, by Eric Gray.
2. MPLS: technology and Applications, by Bruce Davie and
Yakov Rekhter.

Take a look at pp. 12-13 of the Gray book. Here's the last
paragraph of that section to whet your appetite:

"Unlike ATM, however, the label-switching approach is
generally applicable to a number of network technologies,
does not always require fragmentation of data packets into
cells, and allows direct use of native routing information
and technology. Label switching is the process of making a
simplified forwarding decision based on a fixed-length
label; this label can be included in a Frame Relay DLCI, an
ATM VPI/VPC, or at the head of an MPLS shim header in other
tehcnologies."

Are you familiar with Cisco multilayer switching? MPLS is
similar to the mantra, "Route once, switch many". I'll leave
it to others to explain whether that's a good comparison or
not, and, I hope, to give a better one.

See you all at MPLScon. Maybe we could meet at the message
board after the last tutorial session on Monday (5:00 p.m.).
"Be there or be square."

-- TT