Correct, it's essentially a 802.1q native VLAN issue, not a VLAN 1 issue per
se. I would note though that although the change to make a non-active VLAN
the native VLAN is an obvious fix, it strikes me as a bug that Cisco does
not perform a sanity check on native VLAN frames to ensure that they in
fact, do not have a 802.1q frame tag.  This is what causes the issue since
packets on the native VLAN are not supposed to have a 802.1q frame tag.

On a related note, it _is_ now possible to clear VLAN 1 from a trunk.  It
disallows all non-management related traffic, i.e. anything other than VTP,
CDP, etc.  So this should in theory also "fix" the VLAN hopping issue,
although it's probably cleaner to just assign a non-active VLAN as the
native VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/21.html#case

The Case of VLAN 1
VTP pruning cannot be applied to VLANs that need to exist everywhere and to
be allowed on all switches in the campus (to be able to carry VTP, CDP
traffic, and other control traffic). There is a way, however, to limit the
extent of VLAN 1. This is a feature called VLAN 1 disable on trunk, and it
is available on Catalyst 4000, 5000, and 6000 family switches since Cisco
IOS releave 5.4(x). This allow you to prune VLAN 1 from a trunk as you would
do for any other VLAN, but this pruning will not include all of the control
protocol traffic that will still be allowed on the trunk (DTP, PagP, CDP,
VTP, and so on). However, you will block all user traffic on that trunk.
Using this feature, you can completely avoid the VLAN spanning the entire
campus, and as such, STP loops will be limited in extent, even in VLAN 1.
You can configure VLAN 1 to be disabled as you would configure other VLANs
to be cleared from the trunk by issuing the following commands:

Console> (enable) set trunk 2/1 des
Port(s)  2/1 trunk mode set to desirable.
Console> (enable) clear trunk 2/1 1
Removing Vlan(s) 1 from allowed list.
Port  2/1 allowed vlans modified to 2-1005.

Regards,
Kent