Is this down to the fact that a Pix doesn't do a gratuitous ARP on boot up?
(Or does it) I know that if you replace a router with a pix of the same IP
address, that this causes problems, which can normally be rectified by
rebooting the other end device. Of course you've not always got that luxury,
so how about fitting the Pix and leaving the ARP to time out on the other
device. I think Cisco default is 4 hours isn't it? (14400 seconds).

Anybody know if there is a way of getting the Pix to send a gratuitous ARP
(at least to be able to turn it on then turn it off again), and why would
this be turned off, what is the real risk.

A few guesses going on here, so I think I'll go and have a hunt round.

Cheers,

Gaz