Dialer string is for use on dialer interfaces because for whatever reason
you cannot use a dialer map (not sure why).  If you use physical  interfaces
like BRI's or Async's, you typically use the dialer map, but since these are
also "dialer" interfaces, you can use the dialer string as well.  With a
dialer string, when you ping the remote end, the router does a lookup of the
routing table and sees that to get to the destination IP it has to send the
traffic out of the dialer interface.  As soon the as the traffic hits the
int, the router checks to see if the traffic is interesting and determines
whether or not to dial out based on that.  With a dialer map you are
statically mapping the other end of the connection.  Just remember this:
Dialer maps or Strings= Legacy DDR (physical interfaces) and Dialer strings=
dialer interfaces.

Hope this helps.
Danny