At 01:02 PM 3/27/02, John Green wrote:
>so Broadcast domains and Bandwidth domains are the
>same ?

Of course not. We said that bandwidth and collision domains are the same on
Ethernet.

>  (i guess so)
>
>For Ethernet broadcast and collision domains are the
>same. right ?

Of course not. You may be confused because some people use "broadcast" when
talking about sending Ethernet at the physical layer. A coaxial cable is
sometimes called a broadcast medium because the bits radiate out from the
sender and reach all senders on the cable. It's an unfortunate use of the
term that has been carried into generic discussions of Ethernet, despite
the demise of coaxial-cable based Ethernet.

Broadcast means a frame addressed to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. Switches forward
these frames to all ports. They forward unicasts only to the correct port
once they learn the location of destinations. A hub, on the other hand,
forwards all bits without regards for the destination address.

This is networking 101. Do you know about the CCNA study list? You should
join that list.

Priscilla

>--- Priscilla Oppenheimer  wrote:
> > A bandwidth domain is an area of a network where all
> > devices can hear each
> > other's transmissions. A collision domain is a type
> > of bandwidth domain,
> > but it's specific to Ethernet.
> >
> > I think people started using the term "collision
> > domain" first and then
> > someone said, "yes, but that doesn't apply to token
> > ring which doesn't have
> > collisions!" so some marketing engineer came up with
> > the term "bandwidth
> > domain." ;-)
> >
> > Priscilla

>Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards.
>http://movies.yahoo.com/

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com