> I'll need hands on experience to tackle CCNP. I really
> thought I could just read some books and take it on

That depends upon a lot of factors, but you know your situation the best.  I
went from no Cisco knowledge through the IE written in six months.  I did
have three routers to experiment with and that was adequate up until that
point.

The book that I read right after the CCNA was Caslow's Bridges, Routers, and
Switches for CCIE's.  He writes very clearly and you'll find it easier to
read the Cisco Press books after going through it.