A sample config with secondary ip addresses might look like:
int e0
  ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0 secondary
  ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

If you were to connect a hub to that interface you could assign connected
PCs to either subnet. Those PCs could communicate with each other. If you
have the equipment, create a small lab to verify this.

If the same scenario as above were repeated, but this time a switch was
substituted for the hub - it would still work. All switch ports would be in
the same VLAN. The switch is clueless about the ip addressing of the PCs.
While this is possible - it is not best design practice.

Larry's prior post also mentioned using trunking between the router and
switch. In that case, the switch would be divided into "virtual switches" by
assigning groups of switch ports to seperate VLANs. PCs associated with
different VLANs cannot communicate without benefit of a routing function.
Usual practice is to associate an ip subnet with a VLAN. If there were two
VLANs  and the local router had two or more Ethernet interfaces then a
switch port from each VLAN could be connected to its own router interface.
Nothing fancy here. Not much different from two hubs. As the number of VLANs
grew it would chew up switch and router ports. Read 'gets expensive fast.'
Again, if you have the equipment - try it.

A better solution is to use trunking. One switch port is connected to one
router port. aka "Router on a stick." The switch port is configured to do
trunking. Encapsulation is determined.  The router interface would be
configured with subinterfaces corresponding to the various subnets and their
associated VLANs. The encapsulation would match that configured on the
switch. My guess is this is the solution desired by Ricky's boss.