At 01:50 AM 4/1/02, Larry Letterman wrote:
>For the most part here at Cisco, we have no guarrantee
>that setting a switch to root will stop another switch from
>coming up as root. However, we set all our roots/sec roots by issuing
>the set spantree root command. This should lower the prio. of the
>root/sec root switches to insure that they will always be the roots...
>
>We also use portfast to insure no unwanted switches are plugged into
>our network and allowed to become live....

Does that really work? A port in portfast mode still listens to BPDUs in
case another switch instead of a workstation gets connected. If another
switch gets connected, the port will do its normal blocking, listening,
learning, and forwarding state transitions. I don't think just configuring
portfast will stop an unwanted switch from becoming live?? Were you
thinking of something else maybe?

Thanks,

Priscilla

>Larry Letterman