From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
EFIRD, TREECE (CONTRACTOR)
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 7:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: root switch [7:39975]

I'm assuming that the use of spantree portfast is coupled with the use
of this command:

        set spantree portfast bpdu-guard enable

When this command is applied to the switch, and it will prevent a port
configured as a end-station port from being used as an uplink port from
another switch. Any BPDUs (Bridge Protocol Data Units) seen on a port
where the macro command "set port host" (or in this case "set spantree
portfast") has been applied will cause the port to go into an
"errDisable" state.

The use of this command is intended to prevent unauthorized switching
devices from being connected to the LAN via the user ports. We use it in
our organization, and it is effective.

Treece