From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Steven A. Ridder
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 2:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Core layer question [7:40535]

Has anyone ever designed a network and put either a firewall or IDS blade in
the core switch block?  Even if the customer had no money, wouldn't this
never be advisable?  Has anyone ever done it?

As background for the questions, I started a new job, and so I took over
some accounts, and who ever has been doing the configs ( I think some have
been comming from Cisco!) has been making mistakes here and there.  One
proposal had a 500 phone IP Tel network running over Cat. 3 wiring, and this
one has a wan block going back to the core block (dual 6506's) with only 1
sup in each and an IDS blade in each!  Isn't it advisable to move the IDS's
to the server and DMZ blocks?  Also, isn't it always advisable to go with 2
sups?

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy, as I'd not like to casue a ton of
waves my first week on the job.

--

RFC 1149 Compliant.
Get in my head: