From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Steven A. Ridder
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 3:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Core layer question [7:40535]

I've always understood that anything in the core (access-lists, FW blades,
IDS modules, etc. ) is a bad design as it just slows down traffic as the
core is built for speed.  I was always told to move everything to the distro
or access-layer, depending on the function,  AFAIK, the IDS blades have to
look at all traffic, which could slow down core, and this core is for a
global bank on Wall St.  If it's not done right now, when they expand later
this year, the network will suck.

--

RFC 1149 Compliant.
Get in my head:

""Kent Hundley""  wrote in message
> It's not a bad idea to have an IDS blade in the core, but if you have to
> pick either the DMZ and server blocks or the core, I would choose the
> former.  Having an IDS blade in the core should not affect any other
> processing of the switch since its a completely self contained module with
> its own processor. (course, murphy is always lurking)
>
> It's also a good idea to have redundant sup's, but cost may be a factor as
> well.  One can only have as much redundancy as your pocket book allows,
and
> sup's aren't cheap. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Kent