I haven't heard of any role-playing, but Microsoft does implement logic
puzzles into the interviews, which are usually connected with 3 or more
people individually.

The goal is to determine how you think.  Most real world solutions to
problems can be applied to technological hurdles, or problems.

As an example:

Prep:
        You have an empty box, a lock, a key for your lock, and a
diamond.
        Your friend has an empty box, and a lock for his box.

Goal:
        You want to get the diamond to your friend via courier.  However
the     courier will steal anything that is not locked.  How do you do
this?

Another example:

        If you have 2 20' poles, a 32' rope strung between them, and the
lowest point of the rope is 4' off of the ground, how far apart are
the poles?

It gauges how one thinks and handles situations.