pole?  Then you can put the poles side by side without the rope getting in
the way.

JMcL
----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 09/04/2002 05:05 pm -----

"Dusty Harper"
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
09/04/2002 05:08 am
Please respond to "Dusty Harper"

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Puzzles -> WAS RE: My interview story [7:40553]

Actually 0' is physically impossible due to the width of the rope
needing to be taken into account, but that's just a technicality.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Columbus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 9:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Part A:  I heard this one where the friend also has a key that will open

his lock, but not yours.  Also, the condition is that no destructive
techniques are allowed, so breaking or cutting wasn't a possible
solution.

Part B:
He never states that the rope is attached to the top of the pole, just
that
it's attached to the pole.  So, the answer is that the poles are
somewhere
between 0 and 32 feet apart.

Craig

At 11:33 PM 4/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I'll bite.
>a) Boxes and diamond. Gordian Knot technique. Lock the diamond in your
box
>and send it to your friend. He breaks the lock or cuts open the box.
>b) Poles and rope. The poles are touching.

However